The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has issued a notification, vide which it has mandated linking of PAN with Aadhar card. The last date for the said linking is 31st March 2020. The department has been insisting on PAN-Aadhar linking for quite long and has extended deadlines several times, but this time the department seems to be resolute. There are 48.33 crores registered PAN users, out of which 30.75 crores users have already linked their PAN with Aadhar card. The Income Tax department now aims to complete the PAN-Aadhar linking of the remaining 17.58 crores users.
CBDT has made it clear that users who have got their PAN on or before July 1, 2017, and have yet not linked their PAN with Aadhar card, will no longer be able to use their PAN card. In other words, PAN of such users will be canceled after 31st March 2020. The relevant section of the rule in IT ACT is subsection (2) of section 139 AA. After cancellation of PAN of such users, the onus lies on the users to respond to the Income Tax department where citing a valid PAN is a must.
How to link PAN with Aadhar?
- Visit incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- On the left side of the page, there is an option of linking your PAN with Aadhar.
- Fill in the required details such as your name, PAN and Aadhar numbers.
- Check the box which says “I only have the year of birth in Aadhar card”
- Check the box saying “I agree to validate my Aadhar details with UIDAI”.
- Click on “Link Aadhar” after filling in the captcha.