A 2019 press release claimed that only 42 crores Indians have PAN cards, and 125 crores have Aadhar cards, but only 2 crores Indians pay taxes. PAN card helps the Income Tax Department to account for the tax-paying population. To encourage more and more people to pay taxes, the Income Tax Department has simplified the process of generating the PAN card. The new instant method replaces the old cumbersome and time taking process of filling long forms by generating PAN cards online. Now all you have to do is to fill in your Aadhar number on the Income Tax department’s official website, and it will generate an e-copy of your PAN card within 10 minutes.
How to generate your PAN card online?
- Go to https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-PAN/index.html?lang=eng
- Enter your Aadhar number
- Validate your Aadhar number via OTP on your registered mobile number or your registered email ID (optional).
- On validation of your Aadhar number, the website will process the data which takes roughly 10 minutes. During this time, the server of the Income Tax Department will communicate with the server of UIDAI.
- After 10-12 minutes check the status of your application by clicking on “Check status/download PAN”
- On confirmation, you can download your PAN card for free. Also, an electronic copy of your PAN will be sent to your registered e-mail Id.
- You can also get a laminated copy of PAN on your registered address by paying a processing fee of Rs. 50.