IIT Hyderabad researchers have found a potentially hazardous compound named ‘Triclosan’ in day-to-day essential products such as soap, toothpaste, and deodorant sprays. These details were published lately in the UK’s major scientific journal named ‘Chemosphere’. Dr. Anamika Bhargava, Professor of IIT Hyderabad’s Biotechnology branch, led a group of researchers that found that adding Triclosan even up to 500 times less than the currently allowed limit into daily use products can harm the human nervous system.
Triclosan is an anti-bacterial and anti-microbial compound that adversely affects the human nervous system. This compound can be easily found in common kitchen items and clothes. To be noted, in the 1960s, Triclosan’s use was limited to medical care products only. Recently the USA’s FDA (Food and Drug Administration) reviewed the evidence against Triclosan and inflicted an immediate partial ban on it’s regular use.
However, in India there are no regulations for Triclosan-based products as of now. IIT researchers said that Triclosan can be consumed in minimal amounts, but due to it’s presence in everyday usage objects like toothpaste and soap, it can be extremely dangerous for the consumers. The research was carried out on Zebrafishes, whose immunity is very similar to that of humans. Dr. Anamika Bhargava informed that the group of researchers analysed the effects of Triclosan on the central nervous system of Zebrafish’s embryo.
Dr. Anamika Bhargava said that this study concludes that Triclosan taken even in microscopic amounts can not only disturb the genes related to neurotransmission and human enzymes, but can also severely damage human neurons. It can also disturb the motor-function of humans. She further added that the presence of Triclosan in tissues and fluids of human body may alter the neurological behaviour of humans, which may be associated with neurological diseases in later stages.