Ah cruel are ye HBO. The final installment of the Game of Thrones series is so shrouded in secrecy that even the actors were not given scripts before shooting and when they did, they were on ipads with lock and key. So it is no surprise that footage of the new series has been very limited. The new teaser which they just released is extra footage which will not be part of Game of Thrones series 8. Here is what we could gather from the “Crypts of Winterfell” teaser:
- John walks past Lyanna Stark as we hear, “You have to Protect him.” This is in reference to season 6, episode 10 “The winds of Winter” when Bran is having a vision at the tower and Ned arrives to find a dying Lyanna. She has just told Ned the truth that John is actually a Targaryen and urges him to protect him from Robert Baratheon who has built his rebellion on a lie that she was kidnapped. Why Ned goes along with the lie and supports his friend we do not know – perhaps worried for John’s safety or loyalty to his friend. It will also be interesting to see how John finds out the truth in season 8 and how does it affect him? His aunt (cough cough) Danny might not be so impressed.
- The Feather on the floor is in reference to the first episode. Robert Baratheon places is on Lyanna Stark’s statue. This same feather comes back in Season 5, episode 4 when Sansa finds it on the floor and picks it up. There is a small hint here as John’s heritage is discussed in both episodes. In episode 1, Robert and Ned discuss Lyanna and Rhaegar, and in season 5 Sansa has the same discussion with little finger. Both times it is believed that Lyanna was kidnapped but we now know that they were actually in love and secretly married. So it seems that John being a Targaryen is going to be a central theme to the series as we expect.
- Catelyn whispers “All this horror that has come to my family.” as Sansa walks past. She continues, “Its only because I couldn’t love a motherless child” as Arya walks by. This quote is from Season 3, episode 2 when Catelyn Stark is talking to Talisa, who is Rob Stark’s intended.
- John turns to Ned Stark’s statue and we hear. “You are a Stark. You may not have my name, but you have my blood.” This is from Series 1, Episode 2 when Ned leaves for Kings Landing to serve Robert as Hand. Turns out he meant that he had Lyana’s blood and not his own. He does promise to tell John the truth next time they meet as John heads to take the black. Perhaps he said that since he knew John would be taking the black and forsaking his name, so he would be protected even if he knew.
- The three Starks (or two Starks and a Targaryen) look at statues of themselves. Are we going to lose them this series? Why are they in the crypt? Is John not immortal anymore with the red woman bringing him back?
- Finally they turn around as ice approaches. We are expecting one or two epic battles in the last series. Will Winterfell be the place for the last epic battle where the living and dead meet? We know Daenerys is already there from the previous teaser which saw Sansa welcome her to Winterfell. Either way we are excited about what is to come in the 8th season of Game of Thrones in April.