Provident Fund (PF) can be withdrawn after retirement or after two months of unemployment. For online withdrawal of PF, it is necessary to have UAN activated, linked with Aadhar and a bank account. The retirement fund body has recently enabled employees to generate UAN without the involvement of their employers.
Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) also allows partial withdrawal of PF during the service period and even permits non-refundable advance under specific conditions. An employee can partially withdraw PF citing specific conditions such as illness, marriage, buying house, education, etc. Up to 90% of PF can be withdrawn one year before retirement. An advance up to 75% of PF balance can be availed in case of unemployment period of more than a month. 100% PF amount can be withdrawn after two months of unemployment.
How to activate your UAN?
- Go to https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/For_Employees.php
- Select “Member UAN/Online services”
- Go to “Important links” and then click “Activate your UAN”
- Fill in the asked details such as UAN, Date of birth and registered mobile number
- Get the authorization pin
- You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number
- Go back to the site and enter the OTP received
- Click “I agree”
- A new page will open up
- Click on “Validate OTP and Activate UAN”
After activating the UAN, you will have to link it with your Aadhar number and also provide a valid bank account number. Once your UAN is linked with your Aadhar number and the bank account number, you are ready to apply for the online withdrawal of PF.